October 21, 2008

Octopus Balls

Takoyaki is a great thing.  Believe it our not, I never tried takoyaki during my study abroad in Osaka.  Previously, I had tried some supermarket bought fare only to be persuaded that it wasn't for me.  But on this trip, I decided to try the real thing from an actually takoyaki store and a famous one at that.  I tryied my luck in Shin Sekai Osaka, a part of town close the Tennoji Zoo and Dobutsuenmae subway stop, and boy was my world rocked.  The long line caught my interest at first, but then the pictures of TV personalites that I actually recognized hightened my interest.  Well "I'll give it a go" I thought.  The man in the pictures with the TV celebs was actually working on the from lines, so I thought it would be a good experience at the least.  But boy was I surprised, the takoyaki was actually good.  Piping hot and 8 balls for 300 yen was a good deal, and it was only 10 o'clock in the morning.  Yes, that's right, I had takoyaki for breakfast and it was so good that I went back the next day.  If you find yourself in the retro entertainment district of Shin Sekai I recommend you try the joint on the corner.  You'll walk away with a full stomach and a smile.

No comments: