December 16, 2009

Photographic Exploration

I have been using my weekends recently as a time to explore the limits of my new camera and lens, the Canon T1i and Tamron 28-75mm 2.8f, respectively. It has helped my photography grow, changed the way I perceive my surroundings, and given me a reason to get outside and explore Oita City again. These three points have more then justified the relatively expensive price of my new gear. With upcoming travel plans to Cambodia and Vietnam, I am sure I will be even more satisfied with my decision to buy a serious camera and lens.

Below are five pictures I took last weekend on a photo-walk. A photo-walk is basically when I drive to a place and spend about two hours walking, exploring, and taking photos in a relatively small area. They are a great way to become familiar with your surrounds, find neat little shops, and delicious restaurants that you never knew existed. I also end up taking pictures of things I might normally pass up, because I am trying to get from photo site A to site B. Here the point is to wander and go down that street that you might normally pass up. For example, on this last trip I found a shrine I didn't know existed, a cat poised outside a restaurant waiting for some scraps, some great greasy pipes and a rundown building literally falling apart. Enjoy the photos below and click on them to see larger versions on my flickr account.

Detailed Shrine Roof

Shinto Shrine

Eyes on You

Grundgy Pipes

Grundgy Wall

No comments: